Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saline Bayou (National Scenic River). South of Goldonna, Louisiana.


My wife and I have been wanting to buy a canoe. Well, a friend said I can borrow his whenever I want, because it sits there "three hundred and sixty four days a year.""How about this weekend?" I asked him. Sure, where you going to go? "Ummm, I was thinking Bayou Pierre..." Then he was like "nah, that one's pretty much just an irrigation canal. Go check out Saline Bayou. It used to be great before they dammed it off at the river.""I've passed over it a few times. Looks like a good one to go try out." I tell him.

So today my wife, daughter, and I loaded up the truck and went down to da bayah'. This was my 2 year old daughter's first canoe trip. GPS tracks indicated 4 miles of (ME) paddling. Was a great time. Didn't see much wildlife other than a few herons and egrets.We weren't too impressed with this section of the river, so we decided to check out the Bayou where it entered the north side of the lake.



Loaded up the canoe....strapped in the wild child then traveled down an awesomely BAD paved road to Goldonna, La. Took a right on a semi-residential street.


(think of a town with only 2 blocks of housing and this as the post office...)


Well, the road we turned down was paved for about .25 miles and quickly turned into this....


Not complaining... but check this out.
So you know we were in Goldonna. The road we are on is the one that goes from Goldonna to the intersection of 1233 close to the "F" in forest.


Things being as they are, progress comes, old roads go..... we are stopped by this.




And to top this off....... someone didn't do their honey do list and left a pile of shotgun shells only feet from this letter.

Good times.

No comments: